Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Shelter

I have no shelter. The winds of the world whip across my soul unchecked. My body numb and mind blank, I drift out to the sea of grass. Its embrace cradles me as I never experienced in society. The trees surrounding the meadow yearn towards me with gentleness, unlike the harsh metal the man put against my head as he forced me. Crickets sing their soft, lovely lullaby, taking away the sharp shouts and yells of the day. Edging closer, a squirrel searches my hands, its head inquiring peacefully if it may have a nut I hold. I toss it gently over, remembering struggles with people grabbing... ever grabbing. I sigh, hoping it will all melt away but I remember about shelter- perhaps something I will never obtain. Finally, I lift my eyes above to darkness filled with millions of twinkling lights. The stars. They fill the heavens, creating a solid dome above me. My shelter- the roof above my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment